You don’t need to splurge on expensive products or expose yourself to harsh chemicals to get the best in beauty treatments. There’s a multitasking wonder already in your home – baking soda!
Baking soda has been used in skin-care for quite a long time. It is an exfoliator, a skin brightener, and to even out complexion. It is a natural, effective and budget-friendly way to help with many beauty related issues. It is a chemical-free anti-bacterial agent and helps with many skin issues such as acne, bacterial infection on the hands and feet, etc.
Baking soda has countless beauty uses, so get inspired by these DIY ideas.
Teeth: Are you aware of the amazing benefits of baking soda on teeth? Baking soda is a natural bleach for the teeth. In a small dish, mix 1 tbsp. baking soda with some water and a pinch of salt, and use this mixture instead of the regular toothpaste once a day to get bright teeth.
Hair: Ever wondered how to get rid of product build-up on the hair (i.e. deposition of certain chemicals on the hair because of using a certain shampoo and conditioner for a long time. You get to know about this when you feel that the shampoo or conditioner is no longer acting on your hair)? Baking soda can help.
- Add a tsp. Of baking soda to a regular shampoo bottle. Now use this shampoo to wash your hair. This will prevent product build up
- Alternatively, after shampoo, dissolve a tsp. of baking soda in a cup of water/ apple cider vinegar, and pour this mixture over your hair, and then rinse off with fresh, clean water.
- Dry shampoo: Baking soda can also be dusted on the hair, on a day when you don’t want to shampoo, to get rid of excessive oils.
Body: Take 1-2 tbsp. of baking soda or more, depending on your requirement, and add only as much water to make a thick paste. This acts as an excellent scrub for the skin, and also for any rough patches.
Relaxing Bath: Mix 2-3 cups of baking soda with ½ cup corn starch, and keep in an air-tight container. Add 1/4th cup of this mixture to your bathtub to get a bubbly bath at home! It will help in soothing the skin, and softening it.
- For the Nails: Dip a soft, wet toothbrush into baking soda powder, and use this to scrub around nails. It will remove all dead skin, and soften the cuticle, leaving hands and nails squeaky clean.
- For fungal infection on feet/ hands: Add 1 tbsp. baking soda to a tub full of warm water, along with some almond oil. This will eliminate the fungal infection, and soften the skin too!
Skin: The benefits of baking soda on skincare surplus. Let’s have a look at them here:
- Exfoliation: Mix 1 tbsp. of baking soda with 1 tbsp. of water or apple cider vinegar. This is an excellent mild scrub for the skin and also helps in tightening skin pores (when used with apple cider vinegar).
- Anti-acne: Bacteria on the skin need an acidic environment to grow, and since Baking Soda is alkaline in nature, it disrupts the growth of bacteria on the skin (without disrupting the pH balance of the skin) and helps in fighting acne. Use in the same way as the Exfoliator above. Leave the mixture on the face for 10 minutes after exfoliation, and then wash off with cold water.
- Skin brightening and for getting even complexion: Mix 1 tsp. of baking Soda with a 1 tbsp. of lemon juice and a few drops of olive oil. Apply this pack to your cleansed face for 10 minutes, then wash off with cold water.
Tips and Precautions when using Baking Soda:
Don’t get over-zealous! Nothing works overnight! Begin with small quantities of baking soda, and see if it suits your skin/ hair/ teeth. If it does, gradually increase the amount to permissible levels to get the best benefits. Begin by using it once a week, and gradually increase the frequency to 2-3 times a week.
Now that you know the beauty benefits of baking soda, what are you waiting for? Share your experiences with us by shooting a comment.
Disclaimer: This article does not replace the need for consulting with your Doctor for any skin/ hair/ teeth related issues.