One of the best things you can do after you wake up: drink at least 16oz (500mL) of water. Water fires up your metabolism, hydrates you, helps your body flush out toxins, gives your brain fuel, and may even make you eat less.
In Japan, it is common practice to drink two full glasses of water upon waking. It’s said that it has the ability to fully cure a number of diseases, including cancer, as well as provide a host of other benefits. And I think they may be on to something.
As a nation, Japan has the overall greatest longevity, currently hosting over 50,000 centenarians, or 100+-year-olds. Whether it’s the water practice or something in the tea they drink, we can learn a few tricks from the Japanese.
So regardless if this practice will save your life as they believe, here is a look at many of the other proven benefits of drinking a glass of water upon waking.
What Are the Benefit of Drinking Water in the Morning?
It is a long known secret that drinking water as soon as you get up, i.e. before eating anything is a good way to purify your internal system. One of the most important results of undergoing this treatment is colon cleansing, which enables better absorption of nutrients from various foods. When there is a production of haematopoiesis, better known as “new blood”, you will have immense body restorative effects and you can even be cured of existing ailments. Drinking water the first thing in the morning has the following benefits:
- Make your skin glow.Water is known to purge toxins from your blood, and as a result, you get glowing skin.
- Renew cells.Drinking water first thing in the morning increases the rate at which new muscle and blood cells are produced.
- Balance the lymph system.When you drink water first thing in the morning on a daily basis, you help balance your body’s lymph system. Lymph glands found in your lymph system fight infections helping you to perform your daily activities. They also balance the fluids in your body.
- Lose weight.When you consume about 16 ounces of water (chilled), you will boost your body’s metabolism by abut 24% thus help you lose those extra pounds.
- Purify the colon.When you drink water after you have woken up before eating anything, you are purifying your colon thereby making nutrients absorption easy.
- Cures illnesses and diseases.Drinking water first thing in the morning has been proven to cure illnesses such as vomiting, throat disease, menstrual and cancer disorders, eye diseases, diarrhea, urine disease, kidney disease, meningitis, TB, Arthritis, headaches among others.
So how much water should You drink?
If this sounds like something you are into that great. But how much water should you drink to reap the benefits?
The amount varies around the web. In the Japanese healing protocol, it is noted that you should drink 4 160mL glasses of water upon waking. This translates to 20 oz. of water. To give you a good idea, that’s 1/3rd of a 2-liter coke or 2.5 cups of water.
This is a pretty decent amount of water, so start small if you want.
Warm or cold?
Sorry to say this, but warm. Preferably body temperature! We know this is not always feasible to drink two 98 degree glasses of water when you wake up so opt for room temperature.
Cold water needs to be heated up to core temp by the body, expending energy. Warm water allows your body to maintain homeostasis, optimally flushing out toxins and replenishing the cells. A good way to think of it is “pouring cold water over a hot car engine,” but maybe a little less extreme.
Can I eat right away?
You should wait at least 15 minutes after drinking your water to eat. The optimal length in Japanese culture is to wait 45 minutes until eating.
The fact is that the Japanese have the most longevity as a nation. There is currently over 50,000 100+-year-old Japanese people. They must be doing something right.
And even if you don’t believe in water being able to cure disease, you cannot deny the fact that this will have a positive effect on your health and life.
So control what you can, and think about adding two glasses of water to your morning routine. It may be the best decision you ever made.