Why buy expensive, chemical-laden moisturizers when you can make your own homemade skin moisturizer using coconut oil and aloe Vera gel? Both ingredients are excellent for your skin. They are also helpful for problems like eczema and psoriasis.
Coconut oil is super-moisturizing. It penetrates deep into the skin to keep it soft and supple. Packed with antioxidants, it also helps fight free radicals and slows skin aging. Plus, it has antifungal and antibacterial properties that help fight microbial infections.
Aloe Vera gel is also soothing for your skin. It keeps your skin firm and hydrated. Being rich in vitamins and minerals, particularly the antioxidant vitamin E, it rejuvenates your skin and induces cell regeneration. It is also good for healing sunburned skin and fading skin spots.
Homemade Coconut Oil and Aloe Vera Gel Moisturizer
Things you will need:
- Fresh aloe Vera gel
- Extra-virgin coconut oil
- Vitamin E oil
- Peppermint or any other essential oil of your choice (optional)
- Measuring spoons
- A blender
- A glass container to store it in
1. Put about 4 teaspoons of aloe Vera gel into a blender.
2. Melt 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a microwave or double-boiler, then add it to the blender.
3. Add ½ teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
4. Blend the mixture for a couple of minutes.
5. Optionally, stir in a few drops of peppermint essential oil or any other essential oil of your choice.
You can store this gel in the refrigerator for several weeks. This homemade skin moisturizer also works well as a lip moisturizer. You can even use it as a homemade shaving lotion to help soften the hair and prevent razor burn. Just apply a thin layer of it on your skin and let it sit for 1 or 2 minutes before shaving.
- Make sure you rinse the aloe Vera leaf thoroughly before extracting the gel.
- You can also add 1 tablespoon of olive oil in your whipped coconut oil lotion. While whisking the coconut oil in this recipe, make sure it is not too runny.