You can have a healthy mouth and practice good oral hygiene, and yet experience a condition called gingival recession.
Healthy gingival tissue forms a protective collar around a tooth. When gingival tissue recedes, exposing the tooth’s root, sensitivity may result. Tooth root decay may develop because the softer root surface decays more readily than the enamel on the tooth’s crown.
Gum recession is a common dental problem. Most people don’t know they have gum recession because it occurs gradually. The first sign of gum recession is usually tooth sensitivity, or you may notice a tooth looks longer than normal. Typically, a notch can be felt near the gum line.
It can be scary and painful to have receding gums, but you don’t need to worry. There are several steps you can take at home that may serve as effective treatment for receding gums, depending on the severity of the problem.
Causes of Gum Recession
One of the main causes of gingival recession is an irregular or abnormal tooth position. A tooth may protrude because it was crowded when permanent teeth began to push through the gingivae. As a result, inadequate jaw bone covers the tooth’s root. The condition sometimes is noticeable by age 10 years.
Heredity is another factor. A person simply may have thin, fragile or insufficient gingival tissue. Other causes of recession include aggressive or excessive toothbrushing, trauma to gingival tissues and periodontal disease.
Natural Home Remedies for Receding Gums
Here are certain remedies that use simple kitchen ingredients and sometimes herbs and spices etc. To treat and grow back your receding gums.
Green Tea for Receding Gums
The health benefits of green tea are many. You can add treatment of receding gums to this too. As it is well known, green tea has loads of antioxidants that keep away many diseases by combating free radicals. Free radicals in your mouth can cause periodontal disease that may lead to receding gums. Green tea has catechins, an antioxidant that helps combat even the existing periodontal disease. These catechins in your green tea will strengthen the bond between your gums and teeth. The anti-inflammatory properties of green tea will reduce the swelling of gums that obstruct the proper healing of your gums and oral diseases.
- Make a cup of refreshing green tea for yourself in the morning.
- Have one cup of such green tea daily in the morning.
Aloe Vera for Receding Gums
Another natural anti-inflammatory agent is the herb, Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera is popular as a beneficial herbal remedy for most of the skin problems. This is due to its anti-inflammatory as well as cell repairing capabilities. When it comes to receding gums, Aloe Vera not only reduces the inflammation of gums but also activates the cells that are important for repair of tissues. Aloe Vera also has anti-bacterial properties that help keep the infections away from your mouth.
- Aloe Vera gel
- There are two ways to use Aloe Vera gel for receding gums- for brushing and as a mouthwash.
- Every morning and at night, when you have brushed and flossed, take some aloe vera gel on your toothbrush and brush your teeth and gums once again. Wash mouth properly after finishing off after 3-5 minutes.
- Alternatively, use Aloe Vera gel as a mouthwash. After you brush in the morning, add some water to the Aloe Vera gel and mix well to get a consistency that’s easy to swirl around in your mouth. Wash your mouth with this Aloe Vera mouthwash. Do this every time you brush during the day.
Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil to Treat Receding Gums
Coconut oil has excellent antimicrobial properties and thus you may rest assured that it will immensely help you in preventing and treating any infection that is present in your mouth. As you now know that bacterial and other oral infections too cause gum recession, coconut oil can be a good remedy to combat it. Not only does it prevent tooth decay and heal cavity, coconut oil pulling is capable of treating almost all the gum issues including receding gums.
- Coconut oil, preferably virgin coconut oil
- After brushing your teeth every day, use some coconut oil as a mouthwash.
- Take coconut oil in your mouth and swirl and swish it around your mouth.
- Do this initially for 1-2 minutes and keep on increasing the time as you get used to oil pulling.
- If you want to treat all your oral diseases and keep your mouth protected from any future disease, pull coconut oil in your mouth for about 15-20 minutes daily.
- This may also grow back your receding gums.
Lemon Oil for Receding Gums
The mild anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties of lemon come handy when it comes to keeping your mouth germ free. In fact, it is also a good remedy for growing back receding gums as it stimulates the growth of new gum tissue. The refreshing smell of lemon keeps all bad breath away too.
However, because lemon is acidic in nature, its regular use may damage the enamel of your teeth. Therefore, it is recommended to use lemon oil only once a week and not daily. Instead of using the very strong lemon essential oil, try making your own lemon oil at home so that you are saved from the damaging effects it has on your tooth enamel.
Make Lemon Oil at Home for Receding Gums
- Olive oil- 1/4 – 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice – from 1/2 – 1 fresh lemon
- Take the oil in a jar with lid.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice into this oil.
- Cover the jar with the lid.
- Shake it well and place it in shade to prepare an infusion.
- Let this infuse for few weeks before you start using it for your oral health.
- Shake it once every day.
- After a few weeks, maybe 3-4 weeks, start using this lemon oil.
- To use it, you can take a small amount of the lemon oil on to your finger or a toothbrush.
- Massage your gums gently with this for few minutes.
- Do this only once a week or at the most twice a week, not more than that.
Tips to Prevent Gum Recession
Prevention is always better than cure, goes the old saying. Looking at the increasing instance of receding gums in more and more people, it seems useful to take precaution and start taking care of your oral health. This not only prevents receding gums but other oral diseases too. But how to take proper care of your gums and teeth so that you are saved against periodontal diseases? Here are some tips for the same, for preventing gum recession and for proper oral care.
Maintain Proper Oral Hygiene
- Never brush aggressively.
- Whenever brushing, do it with gentle strokes and in a circular motion.
- Never push your gums upwards while brushing. Brush them along your gum lines.
- Don’t use too large a toothbrush. A brush having a small head and soft bristle is ideal for your mouth.
- Don’t forget to floss as it is essential for removing plaque.
- The ideal condition is to brush and floss after every meal. If, however, it is not possible every time, at least, rinse your mouth properly with water after meals.
Use Mouthwash to Clean your Mouth
Using mouthwash every day keeps germs away from your oral cavity. As you now know that infection is the most common cause of receding gums, you should use mouthwash daily. While you can always buy a germicidal mouthwash from a market, if you want to go all natural, make your own natural mouthwash using certain essential oils.
- Take 1/4 -1/2 cup of water and add 1-2 drops of such essential oils as tea tree oil, peppermint, clove, or sage oil. Now wash your mouth with this natural mouthwash at least for a minute swirling it all around inside your mouth.
- Hydrogen peroxide is yet another safe way to keep your mouth protected from infection. But never use it alone. Always dilute its small amount with water and then wash your mouth with it.
If possible, use mouthwash after every meal. If not, at least, use it twice, once in the morning and once when you go to bed at night.
Drink Enough Water during the Day
This is essential for your overall health. If you didn’t know that drinking lots of water can even keep your gums healthy, be aware of it that it does so. Here are some reasons why water helps prevent receding gums.
- When you drink lots of water, all the toxins get flushed off your body and this includes your mouth too. This prevents your mouth from getting any bacterial infection and thus there is no gum recession.
- Water also cleans your mouth. Ideally, you should clean your mouth after you eat anything. If however, sometimes you don’t do this, whenever you drink water, the food particles stuck in your mouth get cleaned away and you swallow them with the water. Always try to, at least, swish around some water in your mouth if you can’t rinse it. It is never a bad idea to swallow this water (if you cannot throw it away) to make the food particles present in the mouth go into the stomach where it can be digested or discarded as waste material.
Eat Healthy Food and Avoid Junk Foods
Healthy foods not only keep your overall health intact but also boost your immunity so that you do not catch any infection. Junk foods, on the other hand, give bacteria and other microbes enough opportunity to grow and thrive inside your mouth leading to infection and finally gum recession.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, especially those that contain nutrients like vitamin C. This vitamin is vital for the health of your gums. Vitamin C reduces inflammation of gums, prevents oral diseases and promotes gum regeneration. So, have lots of strawberries, pineapple, oranges, and vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus etc.
- Avoid having sugary foods and beverages like cold drinks. They are ideal for the growth of bacteria.
- Also, avoid processed foods, caffeine, alcohol, and foods made from white flour. They are not good for your oral health, not even for your general health.
If you want to learn more natural remedies and healthy recipes, take a look at the Everyday Roots Book.
With 350+ pages, you will be able to replace all of the toxic products and medications in your home with healthier, all-natural alternatives. You will be confident in knowing exactly what is in the products your family uses and happy with the money you will save every month.
In addition, they offer you three more bonuses + 75% discount only this month!
Included in this life changing book are:
75+ Natural Beauty Recipes – Get the best hair and skin you’ve ever had and look younger with these insanely clever natural beauty recipes.
35+ DIY Household Products & Cleaners – Never buy a toxic cleaning product again! Save a fortune and your families health with these super simple homemade cleaning products that work better than the chemical ones.
Official Website: everydayrootsbook.com