The banana flower is the flower of the banana plant and is native to the Andes Mountains of Colombia. The banana flower is a large, dark purple-red blossom that grows from the end of a bunch of bananas.
If you open the inside, you can see small flowers that would turn into a banana. The flavor is a little starchy and bitter and is normally eaten as a complement to a dish.
These pretty flowers can be eaten raw or cooked and added to salads, soups, stir-fries and herbal teas.
Check out the health benefits banana flowers have to offer.
1. They are good for diabetes patients.
A study found that diabetic patients’ insulin levels dropped when they ate banana flowers, however, the study hasn’t been clinically proven yet.
2. They are natural antidepressants.
Since these flowers are loaded with magnesium, they can improve your mood and bring down your stress levels.
3. They are loaded with antioxidants that fight free radicals.
Free radicals attack healthy cells and damage them, leading to problems like heart disease, cancer, and skin ageing. These flowers contain antioxidants that battle free radicals and prevent them from damaging the body.
4. They are light on the system and treat a number of digestive problems.
Banana flowers are light and soothing on the digestion system, and can be used to fight abdominal pain and bloating caused by acidity.
5. They keep infections at bay.
These flowers are known to inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria.
6. They can regulate menstrual bleeding and tackle PCOS.
According to Ayurveda, eating a cup of cooked banana flowers with yoghurt can increase progesterone levels in the body and prevent excessive menstrual bleeding. Banana flowers are also believed to help women suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
7. They can prevent anaemia.
Due to their rich iron content, banana flowers can increase the levels of haemoglobin in the body and prevent anaemia.
8. They improve milk supply in breastfeeding mothers.
Ayurveda recommends that nursing women eat banana flowers to boost their supply of milk.
Banana Flower Salad
- 2 banana blossoms
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 spring onion cut fine
- 500 grams shelled and cooked prawns
- 5 tablespoons of roasted almonds or assorted nuts
- 1 teaspoon sour lime juice or even lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Core and cube the banana flowers as well as immerse them overnight within a bowl of water that consists of a tablespoon of vinegar. Clean and trench well.
- Cook the prawns with the butter together with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Grind the nuts indelicately so that it forms a lumpy mix, not an even paste.
- Include all the components into a bowl and toss for a minute or even two.
- Chill for 30 minutes and after that garnish along with a mint sprig and serve.