We all know how many people often make a characteristic face when they eat lemons. You know the tight, puckered lips and squinted eyes.
If you combine lemon juice with a glass of hot water and drink it in the morning, you can have some amazing benefits for your overall health.
Is Lemon Water Good For You?
There are plenty of bogus health trends to avoid but a daily lemon water isn’t one of them.
Packed with antioxidants and other health benefits, a glass of water with the juice of half a lemon revitalizes the body and mind.
Here are 15 reasons to drink it first thing in the morning:
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies
- Lemons contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
- It balances to maintain the pH levels in the body
- Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
- It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile
- It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases
- It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
- It helps cure the common cold
- The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
- It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heartburn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
- It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
- It helps to cut out caffeine.
Your normal routine would probably be: slicing the lemon, squeezing the juice into a bottle and adding some hot or ice water. This is actually the wrong way.
Luckily for you, that’s why we’re here today! Here’s the right way to prepare lemon water!
The Ideal Lemon Water Recipe
- Take out a couple of fresh, preferably organic lemons.
- Slice them as thin or thick as you like.
- Squeeze some of the sliced lemons into the water but not all.
- Grate some of the zest of these squeezed slices into your drink.
- Place the remaining un-squeezed slices in your blender bottle, mug, or travel cup.
- Fill to the brim with either boiling hot, or ice cold water.
Lemon Water For The Win
Health experts say that lemon water acidity aids in digestion. It also helps to slow absorption of food, which conserves insulin stores in the body and ensures your body gets the most out of the food it’s processing.
Lemon water can also give your GI tract the push it needs in the a.m. to get things moving and also reduce fluid retention.
So why not give it a try. And if you’re already a lemon water enthusiast like me, make sure you’re making it right way and benefiting from all its resources.
Take the plunge!