Children go through ear infections more often than adults. The cause of ear infection is bacteria or viruses in the middle ear. The common symptoms for an ear infection are:
- pain in the ear
- tugging at the ear
- poor response to sounds
- high fever
- thick drainage from the ear
- loss of appetite and vomiting
The ear is a hearing organ which is divided into three parts: the outer, the middle and the inner ears. Each part has specific functions which help a person hear.
Each part of the ear can get an ear infection. The most serious ones are the inner ear infections. Complications such as damaging or rupturing of the the ear drum can be prevented by medical treatment.
Untreated ear infections can also lead to chronic recurrence and can even cause permanent deafness! For more severe cases, it is important to consult a doctor, but for an immediate relief you can try some natural treatments.
Read on about easy home remedies to treat the ear infection and relieve the pain.
Salt is probably the most available home remedy.
• Heat up one cup of salt over low temperature for a few minutes on a pan or a microwave.
• Put the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end.
• Place the salt on the ear while warm for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat this as many times as needed during the day. The heat helps draw out fluid from the ear and stops swelling and pain.
As an alternative, you can use rice instead of salt.
Garlic is very effective remedy for pain.
• Make garlic oil by cooking two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of sesame oil or mustard oil until it turns blackish. Strain the solution. When it is bearably hot, put 2-4 drops of this oil in the infected ear as ear drops.
• Eating two to three cloves of raw garlic daily also helps speed up the healing process.
Basil reduces minor infections and relieves ear pain.
• Crush 4-5 leaves of basil to extract the juice. Apply the basil juice in the infected ear. Avoid getting the juice in the ear canal.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is excellent in exterminating the fungus that may be causing the ear infection.
• Mix one part of apple cider vinegar with equal amount of water.
• Soak a cotton ball in the solution and put it in your ear like a plug. Leave it on for about 5 minutes.
• Remove the cotton ball and use a hair dryer to dry the liquid from the ear as much as possible.
5. Olive Oil
The ear wax catching some bacterial or fungal growth is one of the main causes of ear infection. You can easily clear this obstacle with the help of olive oil.
• Slightly warm some olive oil and put a few drops of the warm (but not too hot) oil into the infected ear.
• The oil will soften the ear wax. Remove the wax with cotton swabs. Do not put the swab too far in the ear so you don’t damage the eardrum.
215+ Home Remedies, Natural Beauty Recipes & DIY Household Products
Included in this life changing book are:
75+ Natural Beauty Recipes – Get the best hair and skin you’ve ever had and look younger with these insanely clever natural beauty recipes.
35+ DIY Household Products & Cleaners -Never buy a toxic cleaning product again! Save a fortune and your families health with these super simple homemade cleaning products that work better than the chemical ones!