Keeping a clean home can help your health, but if the cleaning supplies you use are toxic, it can lead to a host of potential problems.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) looked at common household cleaners and created a “ Hall of Shame” list of products that may present health risks to people who are unaware of their effects or children who ingest or spill them on themselves.
“Already, our research has turned up products loaded with extremely toxic compounds banned in some countries,” the EWG wrote. “Some of their ingredients are known to cause cancer, blindness, asthma and other serious conditions. Others are greenwashed, meaning that they are not, as their ad hype claims, environmentally benign. Still more hide the facts about their formulations behind vague terms like ‘fragrance.'”
EWG’s air pollution tests found that Comet Disinfectant Cleanser Powder emitted 146 different chemicals, including some that have been linked to cancer, asthma and reproductive disorders. The most toxic chemicals detected – formaldehyde, benzene, chloroform and toluene – are not listed on the label.
Twelve of these toxic chemicals, known widely as Proposition 65 chemicals, are found in the tested cleaning including:
- Benzene, a solvent and contaminant linked to cancer and male reproductive system toxicity (Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser)
- Chloroform, a gas that causes cancer and developmental toxicity (Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser)
- Dibutyl phthalate, an emulsifier known to damage developing male and female reproductive systems (Shineline Seal Floor Sealer/Finish).
- Formaldehyde, a cancer-causing gas also emitted by some building materials and furniture (Simple Green Concentrated Cleaner/Degreaser/Deodorizer, Pine-Sol Original Cleaner, Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser, Super Cleaner Concentrate)
Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser alone emitted seven Proposition 65 chemicals.
Keep reading to discover what you can do instead:
- Choose certified green cleaning products for your home.
- Better yet, use all-natural baking soda, vinegar, and pure orange oil concentrate to clean your home.
- Write to your government representatives demanding stricter labeling laws and better labeling of toxic ingredients.
- Even better, demand that the toxic ingredients listed above (among others) be banned for use in cleaning products.
- Signpetitions on Care2 to help support change.
- Tell your friends and family about these toxic cleaning products and their damaging ingredients, encouraging them to discontinue their use.
Here we share a recipe for a homemade, chemical free cleaning product which is completely safe and very effective:
DIY: Chemical-Free Cleanser
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup salt
- 20 drops anti-bacterial essential oil – tea tree oil
All you have to do is combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix them well. Use a fork to make sure the essential oil doesn’t clump up in the soda and salt.
If you want to find more health tips & natural cleaners, take a look at the Everyday Roots Book.
With 350+ pages, you will be able to replace all of the toxic products and medications in your home with healthier, all-natural alternatives. You will be confident in knowing exactly what is in the products your family uses and happy with the money you will save every month.
In addition, they offer you three more bonuses + 75% discount only this month!
Included in this life changing book are:
75+ Natural Beauty Recipes – Get the best hair and skin you’ve ever had and look younger with these insanely clever natural beauty recipes.
35+ DIY Household Products & Cleaners – Never buy a toxic cleaning product again! Save a fortune and your families health with these super simple homemade cleaning products that work better than the chemical ones.
Official Website: everydayrootsbook.com