Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that is present in almost every natural food, and added to many others as well. The human body is unable to produce vitamin C, so we have to take it through our diet, or through dietary supplements. This vitamin is essential for growth and repair of tissues, and that’s why we should consume it daily.
Although many supplements are labeled as healthy, we all know that they have to be filled with chemicals in order to last longer. That’s why it’s best to consume a fresh, homemade supplement.
You can make your own Vitamin C supplement using only one ingredient – citrus peel!
There are several types of flavonoids in the citrus, including naringin and hesperidin – compounds that exhibit antioxidant properties in the body. These flavonoids help to reduce cell damage caused by radiation and induce programmed cell death.
Believe it or not, there are more vitamins, minerals and fiber in the peel than in the fruit itself! So, do not make the common mistake of throwing the peel next time you’re eating a citrus fruit.
Follow these steps how to make your own Vitamin C powder:
- eat the citrus fruits (make sure you buy organic ones) and save the peels
- spread the peels on a dehydrator tray
- dehydrate the peels at 100 °F for 24 hours
- if they are still soft, leave them on the tray until they become dry and crispy
- put the dried peels in a blender and blend until they form a powder
- put the powder in an airtight container and refrigerate it
Consume 1 tbsp. of this Vitamin C powder every day. Add it to soups, salads, smoothies, deserts etc. It will boost your immune system and keep you healthy throughout the whole year!